Friday, March 20, 2009

Yet another math trick

You know, by now, that I'm obsessed with numbers and math and stuff. Well I just learned a new little trick from the radio tonight while I was working. Ok, write down a tic-tac-toe thingy, you should have 9 spaces, write numbers 1-9 in them, top to bottom, left to right.

123
456
789

Now pick a number, any number, to start from, then move to a neighboring space, then another, etc., the number of spaces based on the number you picked, no moving diagonally or jumping around the board. So say I picked 3, I start from 3 and I choose to go to 2, then 5, then 6. That's three moves. Now cross out 3 and 9, because no one who is doing this trick can possibly end up on either 3 or 9. Now move 3 spaces, any way you like, but again no diagonal and no jumping around. Now cross out 2, 6, and 8, because no one can have landed on those. Now move one space, and you have landed on number 4. Tada!

It's not magic, it's logic. And logic is fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment