Thursday, April 30, 2009

Piracy is good

I say Piracy is a good thing, and you know why? Ok, here is just one tiny example. I purchased music files on my phone, they downloaded, I was happy. My phone recently crashed, fried, then the next one, and the next one after that. I am now on my fourth phone in as many days. So I redownload the stuff I had downloaded, like apps and such. I put in my external card, which had my music on it, I try to play it, and the phone says it is trying to acquire the license for the song, then crashes. Here I am paniced that my phone has been fried yet again by a freakin song file! It does boot up again, but I get rid of the freakin .WMA music files that are protected against Piracy by Digital Rights Management, and load up the Pirated copies of those same songs that are all .MP3 files, not protected by DRM crap. Thanks Pirates! :) Now my phone doesn't crash when playing my music. Music I paid for, music I don't want to pay for again just to have on my phone again.

This is only one little example of why I am a pirate and will never not be a pirate. I will purchase music that I like, but I won't be using DRM crap ever again. The next time I purchase DRM protected songs, I'll pirate the unprotected versions and delete the DRM crap. Unless I figure out how to convert DRM protected songs to MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, or something really weird like Monkey's Audio.

I am the kind of pirate that believes in sharing, as in giving without forcing people to give back, and if it weren't for good pirates like me, who actually buy stuff and share stuff with others, there would be no piracy. The bad pirates, I call bootlegers, sell illegal copies of stuff, which is something I would never do. But everybody lumps us together as being the same thing. Grabing a pirate copy of something I've already purchased isn't illegal, nor is sharing something I've purchased. But I don't think pirating is immoral or unethical at all, unless it's the bootleg form of piracy. Or worse, taking someone else's work, claiming it as your own, and making a huge proffit off it. Guess who does that? Microsoft! Believe it, or not, those guys are way worse pirates than I'll ever be.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I usually don't get comments from anyone, but those few times I do make me feel good. :) Since I haven't had one in a while, and since I feel like adding more to this post, I'll comment on it.

    Yet another example of why I am a pirate, I just purchased an album on Rhapsody, and all but one song downloaded. The one that didn't download has no specific information about WHY it didn't download, it simply says error, could not be imported. WTF?! Ok, look, if you want to get people away from piracy, NOT giving them the music they paid for in a format that is actually useful to them is not the way to go about it. I'm just saying.

    So, once again I rely on pirates, who like myself believe in sharing with others, in order to get music I like. Well, since I purchased it, it's completely legal.

    All you pirate haters out there, goody two shoes, you can keep on hating, but I'll never change, I'm a pirate through and through, arrrrr!

    ReplyDelete